Having a strong, secure password for your Recon account is critically important. A secure password keeps your personal information safe and helps prevent unauthorized access to your Recon account.
How to create a secure password on Recon
We use a strength meter that takes several factors into account to tell you how strong your password is. Your password must be at least 8 characters and must have a minimum strength score. You can make your password stronger in whichever way(s) you find easier. Try the following and you will see the effect on the strength meter:
- Minimum of 8 characters,
- Use a mixture of upper case, lower case, numbers, and the following special characters for example @%+#$
- Avoid using common words or phrases typically used in passwords
- Avoid common substitutions like replacing the letter “o” with the letter “0” or the letter “a” with the symbol “@”
- Use a long and random password generated by and stored in your password manager
Bad examples of a password
A strong and secure password is one that resists many forms of attack. A strong and secure password is not:
- A common password such as “P@ssword1” or “monkey” that hackers will try in a brute force attack
- A password you have used on another site in case that site had a data breach and your password is on a list used by hackers
- A password you have ever disclosed to anyone else
- A simple one or two word password with words from the dictionary as hackers can try a dictionary attack
- Easily guessed by people who know you or hackers who can research facts about you such as addresses, pet names, date of birth, or mother’s maiden name.
Why is having a secure password so important?
Using a short, simple password that is easy to guess, using a common password that many other people also use, using a known breached password, or reusing the same password on more than one website you’re registered on makes it easier for cybercriminals to do their job.
Having a strong, unique password is an important part of keeping your account secure and your personal information safe. That’s why Recon has introduced important new security measures to help you minimize the risk of unauthorized access to your account and keep all of your personal information safe.
My password is strong, why can’t I use it?
There is a huge amount of hacked data floating around the web. Millions of breached passwords are readily available to cybercriminals who use this data when attempting to fraudulently gain access to accounts on various websites.
If a company you registered with is the victim of a data breach, your password could end up on a known list of breached passwords. Even if your data was not breached, your password could still end up on a breached password list if it’s a common password that many other people also use (e.g. password123) and someone else using the same password was breached.
When you register at Recon or change your password, we check to see if your new password is breached and we let you know if it is. Your password must be both strong and secure. Allowing a strong password that has been breached to be used on Recon could put your account at risk of unauthorized access.